Food stamps can help you put food on the table when you need it most. Learn the basics of food stamps here
Qualifying for food stamps is based off:
- Being a citizen
- Being a resident of Missouri.
- Number of children in the household.
- Assets. This includes money that is saved in bank accounts or stocks. The more assets you have, the less likely you are to qualify.
- Income. This includes money you earn from jobs but also other forms of income like baby-sitting, unemployment, or child support.
If you finish the eligibility tool
, it will tell you whether or not you will qualify and show you how much in food stamp benefits you can earn.
How to apply
To apply for food stamps, you can apply in person or by mail.
In Person: Visit your local Family Support Division office. They will provide a form and assist you. There are four offices in Jackson County:
615 East 13th Street
Kansas City MO 64106
Phone: (816) 889-2000
Fax: (816) 889-2008
Income Maintenance Phone: (816) 889-2500
4900 Swope Parkway
Kansas City MO 64130-2806
Income Maintenance Phone: (816) 929-7100
Income Maintenance Fax: (816) 929-7101
East Jackson Office
201 East Partridge Street
Independence MO 64055
Phone: (816) 325-5800
Income Maintenance Fax: (816) 325-5980
South Jackson Office
6801-B Longview Road
Kansas City MO 64134
Phone: (816) 325-1012
Income Maintenance Fax: (816) 325-1022
- Print off an application at http://www.dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/pdf/fs1_1006.pdf.
- Fill out the information and sign it.
- Mail the form to your local Family Support Division office.
What is next
Once your food stamp application has been turned in, your next step will be to schedule an interview with a food stamp worker. Call your local Family Support Division office to find a time. They will tell you what information that you will need to bring. This could include proof of income
, residence, or identity. For more information, ask your interviewer or look at page two of these instructions