Are You Ready to Own?
Are you ready to own a home? Answer these questions to find out:
- Are you unhappy with renting?
- Do you have a steady income?
- Do you pay your rent and bills on time?
- Is your credit history in good shape?
- Do you have a Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)?
- Do you plan to stay in the area for the next several years?
- Do you have some savings for a down payment and closing costs?
- Can you receive help from family, government programs or other agencies?
- Have you met with a counselor from a homeownership counseling agency?
If you can answer yes to 6 or more of these questions, you are probably ready to become a homeowner. Use this section to learn how buying a home will make you a smarter saver. More money means more options.