Qualifying for food stamps is based off:
- Being a citizen
- Being a resident of Kansas.
- Number of children in the household.
- Assets. This includes money that is saved in stocks or bank accounts like saving or checking. The more assets you have, the less likely you are to qualify.
- Income. This includes money you earn from jobs but also other forms of income like baby-sitting, unemployment, or child support.
When you fill out the eligibility tool
, it will tell you whether or not you will qualify and show you how much in food stamp benefits you can earn.
How to apply
You can apply for food stamps online, by mail, or in person.
Make sure you have the following information first:
- Your address.
- Personal information on everyone in your household including social security numbers and where they were born.
- Amount of monthly income from work, including employer’s address, phone number, and how much you are paid.
- Amount of money you have in back accounts or stocks savings.
- Amount of monthly expenses for rent or mortgage, utilities, and property taxes.
In Kansas City, Kansas, the address is:
402 State Ave.
Kansas City KS 66101
Phone: (913) 279-7000
- Print off an application here. Note:
- Fill out the sections of the form where you see a grocery cart. You can also apply for medical or cash assistance on this form but for food stamps you only have to fill out information where there is a grocery cart.
- Mail the signed application to your local SRS office.
Call toll-free at 1-888-369-4777 with questions.
It takes 30-45 days for your application to be processed. You will need to schedule an interview with a SRS staff member to finish the process. Call your local SRS office to set up a time if they do not contact you.